There was a time when we used to overlook our oral health and looks. That resulted in yellowish teeth and a low-confident smile on our faces. However, with the help of various cosmetic dentistry treatments like porcelain veneers, we can smile better and with zeal.
But we also know that nothing is perfect, so we look for alternative solutions and procedures to solve our dental problems effectively. Porcelain veneers also have limitations and may fail to solve some dental complications.
Before you look at alternatives, it is necessary that you understand what porcelain veneers are.
What are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers, also known as porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates, are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-coloured materials to conceal the front surface of the teeth to improve appearance. These thin shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their colour, shape, or length.
Although veneers fall into the category of cosmetic dentistry because it helps with a smile makeover and replaces our crooked, chipped teeth with beautifully aligned, shapely teeth. Apart from these benefits, veneers also have many protective qualities and may eliminate the need for more extensive treatments, for instance, you may need to visit dental implants Darlinghurst dental clinic to get your decayed tooth treated.
Other benefits include an improved smile appearance and the need for little-to-no removal of tooth structure when compared to various invasive dental procedures like crowns. Plus, some veneer variants require no preparation of the underlying teeth!
However, after all these qualities, veneers are not perfect. Let’s see why it is time to look for alternatives for porcelain veneers.
Complications Where Porcelain Veneers Fail Miserably!
As mentioned, veneers are ultra-thin and are bonded with the surface of your teeth, mainly the front teeth. The reason for using this dental procedure is to give you a gorgeous smile without going under the knife and spending a lot of time in the dentist’s chair.
However, this treatment also has limitations and is far from the perfect solution for your complete smile makeover. What follows are some drawbacks of this procedure:
- Once you have installed them in your mouth, you can’t get rid of them as this procedure is not reversible.
- If you suffer from gum disease or have weak teeth, you should opt out against getting veneers as they mask your underlying dental ailment, which can aggravate the disease.
- If you look at other options, you may feel that the porcelain veneers cost is too high. When you compare this procedure with other smile makeover treatments, you will find many cost-effective alternatives available in the market.
- If you have a habit of grinding your teeth, you may have to rethink your decision to get veneers, as they can’t be repaired once chipped or cracked. You will have to get a new pair of veneers, adversely affecting your pockets.
- People with veneers have complained that they feel uncomfortable using their natural teeth and face temperature sensitivity problems.
- Porcelain veneers may not match the natural shade of your teeth. They may fail to imitate the functionality and natural looks of your teeth.
- In the case of decaying veneers, you will need to replace them with a crown, which will cost you significant money.
So, what other treatments can help you?
The Alternatives of Porcelain Veneers!
Although veneers can solve many cosmetic dental complications, they may not be suitable for everyone. Veneers are permanent, and many people don’t like this permanency. Additionally, many methods available in the market can help you with a smile makeover without worrying about its reversibility.
Take a look at these alternatives of porcelain veneers :
- If you are looking for a brighter and whiter smile, teeth whitening can be an excellent choice. This process will help you effectively eradicate stains and discolouration and is cost-effective.
- Dental bonding is the best treatment option for you if you have chipped or cracked teeth, as it will effectively mimic your natural teeth and is made of durable resin material. This treatment also effectively repairs cracks and stops tooth decay or infection affordably.
- If you want to cure crossbite, overbite, and misaligned teeth, then you can try Invisalign. These clear trays will give you an aesthetically-pleasing look and a gorgeous smile too.
- You can also rely on dental crowns as they will provide you with prevention against cavities and give your teeth the necessary support to fight various oral infections. When you have cosmetic and medical needs, opt for dental crowns.
Although porcelain veneers have their benefits, you just can’t rely on them for the best solution. If you want to try something new, more effective, and more cost-friendly, opt for any alternative mentioned here!